Semifinal Recap; Duke Outlast Maryland

Photo Credit: NCAA

Duke started the game out red hot! Nakeie Montgomery, The Freshman, was able to get the Blue Devils on the board first followed by the Foxborough native Sean Lowrie. Both teams would be taking shots and getting looks for a few minutes until Peter Conley got Duke their third with 4:14 in the first. Late in the first Kevin Quigley would score as he gave Duke a 4-0 advantage with 1:41. Maryland really just couldn't get anything going and you could see that John Tillman was very frustrated. That Duke D kept Maryland cold as the Blue Devils kept getting hotter. The first quarter would end with Duke leading Maryland 4-0.

Duke would continue to roll in the second as they used the firepower from Montgomery and others to get out to a 6-0 lead with 12:44 in the second. All the energy was on Duke's side and that forced Maryland to use their second and final timeout of the half. Jared Bernhardt and Logan Wisnauskas would give Maryland two straight goals that got some momentum going the Terps way. That momentum wouldn't last long as Nakeie Montgomery gave himself a birthday present with getting a hat trick. Duke and Maryland would go back and fourth for a little while as Wisnauskuas would score for the Terps, but Justin Guterding would return the favor for Duke with 4:21 in the 2nd.  That would be Guterding's 208th career goal. Maryland would find some big momentum late as they would get two straight goals to cut the Duke lead to 8-5 with 2:01 in the first half. Much of that momentum can be credited to goalie Dan Morris who stood on his head all night long. That score would stand as Duke lead Maryland 8-5 heading into the half. It felt that both teams went into the half with some pretty big momentum on their side and we finally had a game.

The third quarter continued to carry the same excitement as Maryland came out red hot. The Terps would score two straight to make it a one goal game. Duke would then answer as Josh Robertson pushed the lead back out to two goals with 4:55 in the third. Reilly Walsh would then push Duke out to a three goal 10-7 lead with 3:11 in the third. That would make it a 10-7 Duke lead heading into the final fifteen minutes of the game.

The fourth quarter would be a good one, but Duke would be able to control the game and put Maryland away. Duke started the fourth with a two goal run that put them up 12-7 with 6:48. None other than Justin Guterding would put in the dagger with 1:08 to give Duke the 13-8 victory.

Duke will face Yale in the National Championship on Monday.